Thursday 31 January 2013

Ungrateful...are you??

Hello, I am Back!! wee~~!!
So, today I am writing about "Grateful/Ungrateful".
Yes, I came out with this after I watch "Road for Hope" which airs on KBS World. It's basically about life in Africa, poverty and such. When I watch this, something snapped me.. "I am an ungrateful kid. Yes,I am".

On Tuesday, right after I finished my class, I went home.Yup, HOME.Instead of going back to my dorm, I went home,just because. So,my sister was watching a TV,and usually, when she watches TV, I'll be like "nah,I ain't gonna watch TV today". But, on that day, something caught my eyes. I was surprised to see that people (maybe hundreds of them?) were collecting or finding something at the landfill. Kids,Moms,Dad--EVERYONE from different categories were at the landfills. After they found what they they want, they sell it and the amount of money they get is $1.50 a day. Well, it depends-- there are days when they did not sell anything and had to starve for the whole day. I was sad to see that a family--whose mum was pregnant, and a baby of a year old (I guess) were also at the landfill. The journalist asked her, whether it was hard for her or not, she said "it is hard, but she had to help her husband because the money is not enough for the whole family". What really broke my heart was her 1 year old baby was crying of hunger, but the parents could not do anything about it as they have no food left. IF I compare it with my life, what I am having right now, of course, I can just give a baby milk, or baby biscuits just to alas perut dia. But them? They had to give a cracker. That's SINGULAR. A CRACKER. Is it enough for a starving baby? Not long after that, the journalist introduced another family whom they found at the landfill. This family has no parents.No mum, no dad.Just them, on their own. The three older sisters took care of their 8 younger siblings. When the eldest was asked what she wanted the most, she answered "EDUCATION". Out if all the things that this greedy world could offer, she just want an education.Not Food, not money.JUST EDUCATION. Then, I compared her wants and my wants. DIFFERENT. This girl whose fingers are dancing on the keyboard hates waking up in the morning and go to school, while that girl--would be VERY HAPPY to wake up in the morning and go to school. I AM UNGRATEFUL. In fact, throughout the whole show, all of the kids want education. Education is not that hard to get here.But in the country that they live in, education is like a gold.PRECIOUS.

Now, I have to wake myself up and everyday I MUST tell myself to be grateful. When I eat out with my family or friends-- I must finish the food.OR, if I don't feel like eating, I'm just going to order drinks. AND if I don't feel like studying, I must remember that there are millions of people out there who want to have education.

I thank my Lord,Allah for giving me a wonderful family.For allowing me to be born in this country. For open up my eyes that there are people out there who want education more than anything else. THANK YOU ALLAH. Please guide me to be a better servant, to be a grateful person


No comments: